Monday, October 7, 2019

Re-election: November 5, 2019

Time flies! I'm finishing up my first term on the Hillsborough Board of Education and am running for re-election in the November 5, 2019 general election.

I am running because I care about kids and I want to be part of the solution. I have invested time and energy to educate myself so that I am able to make decisions in the best interest of all children. I listen to residents, am accessible and try to keep the community informed.

I am an engineer by training and my greatest strengths are asking questions and questioning assumptions. I am fiscally prudent by which I mean I am against wastefulness but I am for investing in the community's priorities. In 2016, I decided not to use lawn signs to advertise my candidacy. They cost $418 for 100 signs and it wasn't clear what the community would learn about me from those signs except my name (*1). Again, I am not planning to use lawn signs so I am asking for your help in sharing my candidacy with your friends and neighbors.

Communication is very important to me and I want residents to learn more about me and how I think. That's why I spend a lot of time answering questionnaires from various organizations. When the articles run, I'll post them online here and at www.facebook.com/jeanforboe.

The issues I identified in 2016 - improve communication, have more transparency in decision-making and engage the public in a conversation of its priorities - still stand. Therefore, I am asking for your vote so that I may continue working for the best educational outcome for Hillsborough and Millstone's children.

Your individual vote is very important. Please vote! Last year, the school board election could not be certified for days because the vote tally was so close. Thank you for your support.

-- Footnote:

(*1) I recently learned about "illusion of memory" which is research by Larry Jacoby, not directly related to elections, about false recognition influenced by unconscious perception. My inference is that lawn signs create a sense of familiarity, so that when faced with unknown names in the voting booth, "name recognition" gives those candidates a boost. Thus, my comment "it wasn't clear what the community would learn about me from those signs except my name" is actually the very point of lawn signs! I'm still not paying for signs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Thank you.