Tuesday, October 4, 2022

League of Women Voters questionnaire

It's October 4th - 35 days until Election Day November 8th!
I answered questions from the League of Women Voters. I appreciate organizations that ask questions and publish the responses as submitted.
What personal and professional experiences have prepared you for serving on the Board?
When my youngest child started kindergarten (now in 8th grade), I became an active volunteer in the schools, from organizing coupon book sales to running the Auten Road Intermediate School “teachers vs. Harlem Wizards” basketball fundraiser. Through my children’s activities, I have first-hand experience in how the district works from elementary school through the high school.
For the 3-year term, I am the incumbent, running for a third term on the Hillsborough school board. I have invested time and energy to educate myself so that I am able to make decisions in the best interest of all children. I do my homework and then I do the needed work. Further, I listen to residents, am accessible and try to keep the community informed. In 2021, I achieved the highest level of individual board member certification, “Certified Board Leader.”
My engineering problem-solving mindset is always looking for practical solutions. I’m also deeply interested in people and how we develop and grow relationships. I believe it’s in building connection that we 9 board members are able to come together to do something good for our children, the next generation.
What do you consider the most important challenges facing the school district at this time? How would you address these challenges?
I’ve talked to a lot of people over the years and my takeaway is that the community supports its public schools but they want to know the funds are well spent. That applies to everyone, from those who don’t have kids, to parents with school-age children, to those whose kids are grown, to senior citizens. People are drawn to a community because of its strong school system, but they are also mindful of the tax implications.
In late 2021, there were questions surrounding certain activities authorized by the business office that had been reported to the Board. I was Board President during that time, and the Board notified the Somerset County Prosecutor’s Office and the Department of Education. I recognize there is distrust toward the BOE because there is no additional information while the investigation continues.
Re-building trust is the first step in repairing the Board’s relationship with students, parents, teachers, staff and the community. Without a foundation of trust, it will be difficult for the Board to effectively address the big items ahead, including the continued loss of state aid due to S-2 legislation. I believe when people understand the why behind decisions, trust builds, and proactive communication is the best way to start.
What are the most important factors for student success, and how will you, as a school board member, ensure that those factors are addressed?
I think the most important factors for student success include mental wellness, parental involvement and Board expectations. Achieving this comes in different ways. First, it’s through caring teachers who know and connect with their students so that students develop their best selves. How can the Board better support teachers so they have positive energy for their students and for their own families?
Second, it’s having a strong support network in place, such as school counselors and student assistance counselors (SAC). I was part of the Board that advocated for each elementary school to have its own school counselor and also to add an additional SAC at HHS. What additional supports are needed so that students are ready, willing and able to learn?
Third, it’s engaging parents as partners in the education process because schools and teachers cannot do it alone. The schools offer a lot of support resources beyond academic, but how often do those emails get pushed to the “I’ll read it later” folder? It’s understandable in our very full lives, and it’s also important for families to prioritize learning about these resources. I strongly believe everyone can use additional help, tips, and support. I believe the Board could set the expectation that parents attend at least one parent education seminar, such as drugs, anxiety, learning differences, etc., in their child’s K-12 journey. In this way, parents become full partners with the schools.
How will you communicate with parents and others concerned with education? How do you plan to respond to concerns?
The distinction about communication is that individual board members do not speak for the Board. Only the Board President is authorized to speak on behalf of the entire Board, and even then, only on items that have been discussed by the entire Board. The Board’s communication expectations are expressed through its goals, and it’s the Superintendent who creates a framework to address the community. Public board meetings are the Board’s meeting to conduct its business, and it is not intended to be a question and answer session. As a new Superintendent is appointed, I am confident they will create opportunities for the community to ask questions and express concerns outside public board meetings. As a board member, I am a resource for helping community members understand how to navigate the district, and I encourage parents to understand the district’s chain of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog comments are moderated. Thank you.