Wednesday, August 3, 2022

BOE Basics

To become a member of the Board of Education in New Jersey, you must
1) be able to read and write
2) be a US citizen and have one year's residency in your town
3) be registered to vote in your town
4) plus a few other items such as have no contract with or claim against the board, not hold office as a member of the municipal governing body, not be disqualified for conviction of certain crimes, etc.
5) be one of the top 3 vote getters (assuming the regular term) in your election

The Hillsborough BOE (which also includes Millstone Borough) is a 9 member board. Each board member is elected for a 3 year term, and each year, 3 board member terms expire.

My colleagues Greg Gillette and John Oliver were elected with me in 2019 and they chose not to run for re-election this year. My colleague Jim Ruh was appointed to fill a vacancy earlier this year and also chose not to run for election.

So, this November 8, 2022, voters have a choice of 5 candidates to fill the regular 3 "full three year terms," Jean Trujillo the incumbent and 4 new candidates. And, because there was a vacancy, there is 1 special "two year unexpired term" which is uncontested. I'm super happy that Jane Staats will be returning as a board member.

Please remember, the school board is a nonpartisan, volunteer unpaid position. I am a Certified Board Leader which is the highest level of individual certification. I've invested the time to learn about education, policy and I do my homework. I ask for your vote this November 8, 2022. Thank you.

3 comments:

Blog comments are moderated. Thank you.